Two months have quickly passed since I started my first composting at home.
( See below for the article when I started LFC composting.)
The procedure for LFC composting is roughly as follows;
- Put two thirds of the soil, called base material, into the bag.
- Mix about 300~400gram/day of food scraps into the soil for one month.
- Add the remaining one-third of the soil.
- For another month, put about 300~400gram/day of food scraps into the soil in the same way. <<★Currently here>>
- End of putting in food scraps (for a total of 2 months)
- Then, after a three-week ripening period, the compost is ready!
Two months have passed in terms of period, but in our case, since we live in two locations, we cook at our Tokyo house and produce food scraps on average 4 days a week. Therefore, we wondered whether we should end the period of putting in food scraps and start the maturing period, or whether we should put in a little more food scraps. So I contacted the LFC Compost support center and they sent us the following criteria.
Continue to throw in food scraps
As a result, I have decided to continue to put in food scraps for another 18 days, since I have not yet put in 20 kg.
This is how the soil color changes.
It has gradually turned from light brown to black. The key, they said, is to collect food scraps in the drainage ditch and throw them into the soil while they are still moist, to achieve a good moisture balance.
The reason I couldn’t step into compost was because I was worried about “bugs” and “smell”.
As a result, there were no insects (maybe because it was winter), and the smell was quite foul after one month, but that naturally went away once the moisture balance improved.
One time, after 2 months, white mold grew, but I checked the FAQ on the web and found that “white mold is a sign that it is beginning to decompose (a sign that it is doing well), so don’t remove it, just mix it in.” I was relieved to see that.
I can’t wait for the day when the compost is ready and delicious vegetables and fruits grow from the soil♥